NSAC to Open Investigation Into Post-Fight UFC 229 Brawl
On Saturday night, the UFC experienced one of the most embarrassing and reprehensible scenes in the history of the sport. Following an impressive win over Conor McGregor, UFC lightweight champ Khabib Nurmagomedov proceeded to climb over the cage and head out into the crowd to attack McGregor’s teammate Dillon Danis. This attack sparked an all-out brawl in the crowd, which also spilled into the octagon as members of Nurmagomedov’s camp attacked Conor McGregor.
These actions not only enraged the UFC brass, but they also have sparked potentially serious consequences with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). According to MMAJunkie.com, the NSAC’s executive director that they will be opening a “comprehensive investigation” into Nurmagomedov’s actions. Bennett also stated that the NSAC was withholding Khabib’s $2 million dollar purse pending the investigation.
As the state of Nevada’s athletic commission dives into a deep fact finding mission, the UFC has already declared that Nurmagomedov’s teammates will never fight in the promotion again. Furthermore, White said in his post-fight press conference the following about the brawl:
“A lot of bad stuff that shouldn’t have happened. … All hell broke loose. I don’t even know what to say right now. I’m just disgusted and sick over it.”
White would go on to state that Khabib is facing a potential lengthy suspension, which would certainly force the UFC to strip Nurmagomedov of the lightweight title.
Once the NSAC is satisfied with all of the information it has gathered, the commission will then send complaints to the Nevada Attorney General’s office. A hearing will be called to review the complaints. Bennett will make his recommendations on the ordeal, but it will be up to the commission’s 5-member panel to decide what the final outcome is.
UFC’s Dana White brought up the possibility of criminal charges and the fact that Nurmagomedov’s teammates could have compromised their visas.
As for McGregor, he was cleared already and received his fight purse. Despite losing the fight, Conor believes he won the battle and the former champ has already told the UFC that he wants a rematch against Nurmagomedov as soon as possible.
Comes as No Surprise
For many fans and pundits, this post-fight brawl comes as no surprise. The UFC has allowed Conor McGregor to push the line of decency for a few years now. Additionally, the promotion used McGregor’s bus attack as a marketing tool to promote this UFC 229 fight. Furthermore, they allowed Conor McGregor to attack every aspect of Nurmagomedov’s life, religion, family and character. Nothing is off limits as long as it sells fights. If you ask Nurmagomedov, he justifies his post-fight actions with this reasoning. However, he is willing to admit that it wasn’t his “finest moment.”
In the end, both the UFC and Nurmagomedov are responsible for this disgusting act. If the NSAC and the UFC don’t come down hard on Khabib and his teammates, then it will just open the door for more post-fight brawls and more reprehensible actions by fighters who are supposed to be professionals.
The Jacksonville Jaguars are facing an uncertain situation in the backfield...
Earlier this week, Nevada’s Gaming Control Board started the process of u...
On Tuesday, the first legal sports betting occurred in New Mexico at the tr...
On Thursday the NBA G League announced a new plan to provide a new, alterna...